Wednesday 20 June 2007

My Awful Job

(My fiance & I)
As promised, this post will tell you all about my horrible job! First though....an update on Diet Girl.....I did go for a run yesterday. It was absolutely freezing and raining but I knew if I didn't go that I would spend the rest of the night eating cakes and junkfood so I just had to do it. Once I got started it wasn't too bad. I finished in quite a good time and did not turn into the "iceberg" that I expected to. Tonight is a Spin Class and I have not been to one of these classes for ages so chances are it will kill me! At least I don't have to brave the outside weather though!

Now....on to my job. Before I can tell you about my job, I will give you the history behind how I ended up here. I worked in my last job for 3 years and, while I did not thoroughly enjoy it, I did not nearly cry at the thought of attending (like I do now!). I was employed in basically a "customer service/order management" type role and I really had my job "down pat". I knew what I was doing, never had many issues, had some people at work that I really liked (and some I didn't) and I worked with my fiance, which was awesome! Early this year I had a "fantastic idea" to go back to Uni and study to be a primary school teacher. This did not turn out to be such a great idea as I attended Uni for only 3 weeks before realising that a teacher I was not! I did not have the passion for children that I think is so necessary and it would have been unfair to the kids that I was teaching. Believe it or not, I did give this plenty of thought before accepting my Uni offer but, as usual, I made the wrong decision!!

So, my old job had been snapped up by someone else, I had dropped out of Uni and I was now "unemployed". I was unemployed for four weeks, which seemed an eternity and then I found this "dream role"....NOT! I work as an Account Manager for a telecommunications company. This may sound OK but, in all honesty, what I actually do is hire out two-way radios to building and security companies. It is such a "man job" and I hate it!!! I am pretty much a "girly girl" (but not over the top) and I spend my days with screwdrivers programming radios and changing the buds on earpieces that are covered in other people's earwax! Sounds fantastic, doesn't it??!! Why did I accept this job you may ask? I honestly had no idea that it would be like this. I need to get out of here so badly. I have only been here about 6 weeks and I hate every minute of it. So, I am currently looking for another job but not having too much luck as I am looking at the higher salary end of customer service jobs.

I am also starting back at Uni at the end of July but doing a totally different course. I am doing my Masters in Sexual Health via correspondence. A little different from teaching hey?! Let me explain....After school, I completed an Arts degree, majoring in Psychology. After this, I enrolled in a private college to do a graduate diploma in sexual health counselling. I attended all classes and paid the hefty course fee but did not sit the final exam or do the clinical placement hours and, as such, I did not achieve the diploma. Why was I so stupid? Because my boyfriend broke up with me and I had zero coping skills back then to deal with heartache so I just let my whole world collapse. Trust me, I have been kicking myself ever since! As such, I need to obtain some "real" qualifications in this area now.

I do have some experience in this field, having been a sex columnist for the Singapore Women's Weekly for 4 and a half years. This was an amazing experience. I wrote for them via email and had my own page in the magazine each month. I answered reader's queries and provided information about sexual dysfunctions, sexual performance, contraception, sexually transmitted infections, etc. I loved writing for the mag as I felt that, at least somewhere in the world, I was "famous"...ha ha ha!!! After 4 and a half years the magazine decided to go with "a different look" and I was shafted!

I have always had a major interest in this area and I am so absolutely comfortable talking about the topic to people from all walks of life. Most people do not have much information about sex but most people wish they did, yet are too embarrassed to seek it out or think of it as a "taboo" subject. I hope to one day have my own practice, counselling people about sex and making everybody feel that what they are (or aren't) doing is normal. Sex is such a major part of our functioning as human beings and this aspect needs to be explored and celebrated!

There you have it....My "career" history, my terrible decision-making skills and my future aspirations! Let's just hope that this time I "stick to my guns" and make this happen!


Have a happy day guys!

Miss Pinky.

No comments: