Monday 21 July 2008

A new winter plan of action

I have started to be very slack again…..skipping planned training sessions, over-eating, eating crap I shouldn’t be. The fact that J has not been allowed to exercise for the past week because of his torn hammie has just added to my “badness”. Ordinarily I would feel guilty that he is out running all the time and I am doing nothing but this week I have felt “guilt free”…..until now!
I have worked out that I don’t cope with winter very well at all. I actually think I start to get a bit depressed with the cold and the lack of daylight hours. I skip many more training sessions in winter than in Summer and I just feel completely unmotivated. So, I have a plan…. I hate getting up early to run because it is dark and cold and I find that if I plan exercise for after work I will find an excuse not to go. This morning I went for a run just after 7am (instead of 6am) and came into work an hour later than usual. This means I will finish an hour later (or earlier if all the other jokers disappear) but it means I can run at a reasonable time and get it out of the way early in the day.
Ordinarily I love to leave work at 4pm to get to the dog park during daylight but this is not an issue anymore as my psycho dog can’t go to the park anyway. So, I can leave work at 5pm and walk my dogs after work. I was also finding that I was feeling uncomfortable leaving work at 4pm anyway because I felt as though people were thinking badly of me…..especially because some people knew I was arriving at 8.30 instead of 8am! This way, I won’t feel bad about the time I leave either. Only time will tell if my new plan works…
J’s hammie is doing well. He can walk properly now and has had a few physio sessions. Tonight he is allowed to do a 20 minute run at 6 min/km pace so he will have to see how it pulls up. He will be spewing he has to run at basically my pace! The main thing is to let the injury heal though. Also….my hand has healed after my dog bite. There is only a small cut left but I can now shower with 2 hands, which I am loving!! I am so lucky that no infection set in.
I got some new runners on the weekend….Asics GT2130’s.


I love Asics. They are the only shoe that is right for me. The most exciting thing about my purchase is that the colour scheme of the shoe perfectly matches a running outfit that I have. I love colour coordination!! The runners made their debut this morning and they performed well. What I love most about Asics is there is no “breaking in” because my feet are so used to them. I also ran at a slightly better pace than last week too so I am not complaining.

J bought the shoes for me for an Anniversary present and he also bought me a Nike sportsband so I can now calculate my pace, distance, etc while I am running. I don’t usually care about this sort of stuff during normal runs but it will be very handy for events and especially for half marathons so I can monitor what I am doing.

Funny thing is that I also bought J shoes for his present. I got him the “Gold Coast marathon” edition GT2130’s….They are cool….gold and blue….nice looking runners! Not that J will care about the “look”!!
I have the Sutherland to Surf this Sunday and I am thinking I will do about 70 minutes. I did 68 last year but my fitness is rather hideous at the moment. Then I have the City to Surf 2 weeks after that. I am actually freaking out about that one because of Heartbreak Hill and also because I always get nervous on new courses. I am in the 2nd starting group so at least I don’t have to battle with thousands and thousands of people but I do have to come in at under 100 minutes, otherwise I won’t be warranted being in that group at all. I used my SMH Half result to get into this group….even though I haven’t run the C2S before.
I am seeing The Dark Knight on Wednesday. J’s work has booked Gold Class tix for everbody so it should be good. It is getting awesome reviews….Heath Ledger is supposed to be excellent in this movie. Friday is J and I’s 3 year anniversary. I am not sure what we are doing yet. I was thinking of booking a hotel room for the night but, if not, we will just do dinner somewhere nice. I love anniversary time….It always reminds me of when we were first together and how EXCITING that time was for me. I never, ever thought that I would end up in a relationship with him but it has all turned out perfectly! Most of the time at least!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

woman, i hears you! have you witnessed my heft? eyeballed the lard?? its heinous.

i'm into it, onto it and over it.

onward to skinny land once more!!

MISS PINKY said...

Kitty....There is no lard on you my dear!!! You are just perfect. Although I know you won't believe me anyway!!! ;-)

gypsy77 said...

Hi Miss Pinky,
I've been reading your blog for a while now...well done on the running, especially your half marathon!
Your new plan sounds great.This winter crap is depressing, I feel just the same a you!
Good luck with your runs you've got coming up.
Bec

Andrea said...

Hi miss Pinky,

Ahh new shoes and running toys - don't you love it!
Andjxx

emharvie said...

I'm struggling with winter too! I think if I wasn't signed up for City2Surf I wouldn't be running at all - I am really not enjoying it.

I'm sure you'll be fine with C2S. Heartbreak hill isn't that steep - it is just long (about 2km). When you've done it, you are over half way. I walked most of HH last year and probably will this year!

Miss LJ said...

Gotta love new running shoes...and style is important!!

Yeah, I'm over winter aswell.... but am planning to buy a spin bike in the next few weeks...so at tleast I can do something at home. My membership at the gym runs out next week - and since I haven't been for 3 months - I ain't going to renew it - so a spin nike will be the better way to go!

Hope you enjoy the dark knight. And of course LOVING gold class. Have fun!!

xx

Anonymous said...

WOMAN.

Email me about Sydney. stat.