Tuesday 5 August 2008

Sutherland to Surf and other stuff

I did very well in the Sutherland to Surf....I finished the 11K's in 64.18 minutes so, for the first time in my life, I averaged under 6 minute K's.....For this race I averaged 5.8 minutes K's......yay!!!! I am so happy with my result. It's funny because I really felt like I was running extra slow. During the first half of the race I felt like I might be sick and it was like I was dragging around 2 lumps of lead (legs) but during the second half I felt awesome and I did not even stop once on the hills. It was great weather for running....a fine day but cool. I had a good day!

This Sunday is City to Surf. Once again, my training has been a bit of a "mixed bag". I have pretty much stuck to all planned sessions apart from a couple but the K's just haven't been there. I did a 14K last Sunday and it was very hard! I was home in exactly 90 minutes but I must bear in mind that heartbreak hill was not included so I am aiming for 95 minutes on Sunday. Fingers crossed! Part of me feels like just walking it but I am in the second start group which means nobody will be walking in my group and I must finish in under 100 minutes. I probably should never have got into that group. I do such stupid things sometimes!!!

I am on the hunt for a road bike at the moment. J bought himself an awesome bike last weekend, complete with all the snazzy gear for a pricely sum of $3000. It's a great bike and he really looks "the part". He is desperate for me to join him so, despite my lack of excitement for bike riding, I will get one. I have looked at a few but my issue is that I am so short so not many bikes are right for me. The only one I have found in my size is a pretty crappy bike. I will continue the search!!! At least bike riding is a low impact sport so it will complement my running quite nicely! If anybody knows a brand of road bike that does sizes suitable for a female about 5 foot 1-2 inches, please let me know!

This Saturday night I am meeting the famous "Kitty"!!! I have no idea how to create links or anything so my apologies! It should be fun!!! I won't be able to really "let down my hair" though because of the run the following day.....At least it will stop me "fretting" at home from my nervousness!

Diet has been pretty bad lately. Winter is just too hard and Miss Pinky just loves her chocolates way too much!!! Hopefully some warm weather (or some willpower) arrives soon! I was watching a documentary on SBS the other night.....It was following a group of people from being inactive to running a full marathon over the course of 40 weeks. It was an excellent program! A few of the participants were overweight and they did not lose much weight, despite running regularly and for long distances. The doctor was saying that for weight loss, diet is much more important than exercise. This is so true for me!!! Explains why I am a fat runner! I always think people must look at me and assume I am a lazy and inactive person.....They would never know I run regularly. I must get the food under control if I want to lose some weight!!! It would make running so much easier too and would improve my performance.

On a positive note, I booked a trip last week. In December, I am off to Phuket, Bangkok and Singapore for just over 3 weeks. I can't wait!!!! I love holidays.....sun, shopping, swimming, time not being important. An added bonus is that I find I tend to lose a bit of weight when I go to Asia. I think it is from all the walking and the fact that I generally only eat 2 meals a day. This is just an added bonus....the holiday in itself is pretty good too!

5 comments:

gypsy77 said...

How exciting booking your trip!!

We leave in 3 weeks for bangkok, then phuket...I so can't wait!

I know what you mean about the diet/exercise thing. With the amount of training and running I do, I really should be in much better shape than I am. It all comes down to too much food, even though all I eat is healthy, fresh food, I obviously eat too much! It really messes with my head sometimes.

Have a great weekend meeting the famous Kitty. Good luck with your run!

Anonymous said...

hey chick! sorry i have been awol. missed your blogging!

i hear you and kitty and i will be pashing it up saturday night?

xox

MISS PINKY said...

Gypsy-Yes I am VERY excited for my trip! Thailand is such a gorgeous place...so relaxing!

Donna-Woohoo!!!! Welcome back!!! Yes we will be pashing hard on Saturday! It will be great to meet such "celebrities" from the Blog world!!

gypsy77 said...

Miss Pinky, how did your run go???

My kids and have been watching it on tele this morning, looks like you had great weather.

I want all the details....oh and all the details on your meet up with the other bloggers!! Thats just as important!

Andrea said...

Hi Carla,
Thanks for your congrats on my blog. Believe me - I haven't really felt well enough to worry about too much more than that - so exercise has been low on my priority list!
Andjxx