Wednesday 23 April 2008

I am one LAZY Blogger!!!

I have been sooooooo lazy with updating this Blog!!! I still check everyone's blog but I just could not be bothered to put an update on my own Blog....so here 'tis!

The half marathon is fast approaching.....Only 3 and a half weeks to go!!!! I am feeling rather scared but I feel confident that I should make the cutoff time (11kms in 75 mins) if all goes to plan. My issue is that it will take me about 4 minutes to get across the starting line because I am a slow runner who starts at the back. This means I have to make the 11kms in around 71 mins (The marshalls will not know how long it took me to cross the line). I need to sit at 6.45min K's or better.

I have started my running training now and it is going OK. I was very worried last week when I did a 7K and a 5K and they both hurt like hell. I did 14K on Monday and was feeling much, much better. My speed averaged at 6.2min K's so I should be fine on the day. My plan is to do the following over the next few weeks:

Monday: 10K run
Tuesday: 20 mins treadmill at 10-12K/hr speed plus 30 mins personal training
Wednesday: 10K run
Thursday: 20 mins treadmill at 10-12K/hr speed plus 30 mins personal training
Friday: 20 mins treadmill at 10-12K/hr speed plus 30 mins personal training
Sat/Sun: Long run (this week 15K....next week 16K......week after 17K)

This plan will mean my longest run will be 17K and I will do this a week out from the half. If I can do 17.....I can do 21.1. After the 17K the weekend before the half, I will do a 5K on the Tuesday and the Thursday and nothing at all on Friday/Saturday as I need to do some form of tapering before the race. For the last half I did, I trained up to 21K and I just don't think it was really necessary. All it did was really hurt me and meant I had no energy for a few days afterwards.

Unfortunately the lower back pain is back (starts at about the 12K mark) despite doing heaps of core work with my trainer. I will need to take dencorub with me for the long runs now I think and I will have some nurofen before I run to try and help with it.

I went to 2 expos last week and they were both unreal!!! I went to the Runner's Expo on Wednesday night which was held by NRG (Northside Runners Group). It was very good and J even won a $75 voucher for a running store at Manly. They just had a number of stalls set up with products and information related to running. I got a massive stick of Body Glide for $15.....bargain!!!

On Sunday J and I went to the Fitness Expo at Darling Harbour. This was FANTASTIC!!!!! There was so much stuff there I was interested in. I ended up buying 2 Mizuno running outfits (tights and singlet) for $75 per outfit and then I could not help myself and bought the runners that completely matched one of the outfits. I probably look like a real freak in matching gear from head to toe but it is great quality stuff and I feel good in it. I still prefer my Asics GT's over the Mizunos but I will give them time and see how they go. At least I will look good as I get disqualified from the race for being too slow...ha ha ha!!!!

The Commando (from the Biggest Loser) was there and he runs a training Gym pretty close to where I live so J and I are considering doing some training with him. It would be absolutely full-on training but I think it would be really good to do. I feel that my trainer now is not pushing me hard enough in all sessions and I want to be pushed to the point where I feel I will be physically sick. This sounds sadistic but if I am paying....I want results! J has emailed the Commando and is waiting on a response re. fees, etc.

In "non exercise" news, life is ticking along nicely. Work is a little quiet at the moment and I have seen a very negative side to somebody who I work with that now means I must be on my guard at all times. I am looking forward to the long weekend to catch up on some rest and to just chill out! I hope everbody has a great weekend!!

Miss Pinky

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the commando (steve yeh?) is fucking hot! go for it!

also, i am jealous of your outfits and i was at darling harbour on saturday dammit i didnt know about this fitness expo!!! :)

MISS PINKY said...

Unfortunately I have this recent addiction to buying exercise clothes. I find if I have a new outfit to wear it makes sticking to my sessions easier. If only I could learn to love exercise!!!!.....

Andrea said...

Hi!
Can I offer some advice on the half at all?

I wouldn't worry about the time cut off - as long as you pace yourself on the day and don't go out too fast, the adrenalin will get you there. Alternatively, if there is going to be pace runners, stick by the 2hour - 2hour 10 pace runner - then you know that you will definitely make it. you can always slow down after the frst ten.

Training looks good - but I wouldn't runn every day. Even though the tready sessions are only short - they aren't going to add any value to your running fitness - the only thing that will do that at this stage is long runs and with only 3 weeks to go you really only have time for 2 more long runs. I would skip the 20mins on the tready and do something cross training ish - like a combat or RPM class - or even just go on the elliptical trainer or the bike. You don't want to over do it and get yourself an injury.
I would do 15km this weekend, 17km the weekend after and only 10km the weekend after that. You want to taper off your training in the week before the event.
the week before the event I would only do a shortish fartlek style session on the tuesday, 5 - 7 km on the Thursday and then thats it until the run.

I have Mizuno's and they are perfect for my feet - love em!

MISS PINKY said...

Thanks for the comments Andj!
The treadmill running is done as a warm-up before I see my personal trainer....I see what you mean so I may switch to the cross trainer as my warm up instead.

I will also follow your tip to do a 15K this weekend and a 17K next weekend....with a shorter run the weekend before the half.

I never even thought to follow the 2 hour pacer up until the 11K cutoff.....Great idea!!!!! This is why having a Blog is a great idea....You get other people's perspectives. I think the pacers only go up to 2 hours for the half....I wish they had a 2hr 15min pacer!!!!!

May the force be with me!!!!

Miss LJ said...

Good luck with your half marathon!! Looking forward to hearing how you go. And its great to see an update - I've been looking for one for a while.

Sounds like you are certainly the 'fitness' woman at the moment - how awesome for you.

Take care - and keep on running!!